About Me

What We Believe

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Widget_logo
Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, December 14, 2008

While I've Been Away...

There has been so much going on...as I am sure there has been in all of your busy lives. 'Tis the season.
Since I posted last, my family and I were able to go to historic Nauvoo. It was such a treat to visit many of the sites with my children. Cooper, especially, has always had a strong interest in Joseph Smith and it was very special to be able to walk the streets that out beloved prophet walked with my family. My boys were thrilled to see the temple and we would drive by it often as the place we stayed was quite near it. They were very excited to see the sun stone and understood that it was on the temple. We were able to pet the oxen and take a ride on the wagon pulled by them. As it was quite cold there and combine it with the "off season", we were given one-on-one treatment. It was so much fun. My boys were so excited to be able to make rope, get prairie diamond rings and a horse shoe. There was so much to do and see. We were able to spend a week there, so we could see many of the sites. I did however, learn that Ella did not share the excitement we all had going into the historic homes. She understood quite well that when we went into the homes she would not be put down. She would hoot and holler about it. The poor little sister missionaries would try to teach us through he yelling, and they generally did a wonderful job. Many of them would give us the Reader's Digest version, though. While we were there the Walker Family Reunion took place and we gathered together to have Thanksgiving dinner and a talent show. Cooper was able to have a small part in a play that my mom-in-law put on. He was super-proud of himself. I wish I could share pictures...more on that later. Also, another highlight of our trip was going to Carthage Jail. It was so neat to be able to see Cooper read the plaques that held the history of Joseph Smith. I think that we all had our testimonies strengthened on the sacrifice that our prophet endured to restore the gospel. It was such a wonderful opportunity for me, as a mother, to be surrounded by so many tangible teaching moments. It was a very special trip for me, and I am so grateful we were able to go there.
Now, for the explanation for the lack of pictures... I took many. There were fantastic, too. You know, the ones that after you take them you make a mental note that you're gonna frame them? Well, there were lots. Phillip and a colleague of his have been tinkering around with our laptop trying to put a program on it to aide Phillip in his dissertation. Thus, the lack of posts. The computer had been out of commission for a couple of weeks while the tinkering had been taking place. Long story short, they decided that the program just wasn't going to work on our computer, so they had to fix what they had done. In doing so, they had to restore the hard drive. Part of the tinkering had been to separate the hard drive into two sections and when they started to restore the computer they realized it was wiping my computer clean...all of it. It had been my understanding that my husband had been backing up our hard drive from time to time. Not so. I had at least two years of pictures on my hard drive. Needless to say, I am quite devastated. So, Nauvoo pictures, Ella's blessing, birthdays... Never has there been a time that I have been more grateful for the few pictures that I have blogged. So, let this be a lesson to you small bear, back up your hard drives. I am trying not to dwell, and am blogging my pictures and definitely backing them up!
Another huge highlight that I have been anxiously waiting to post is the next chapter in our lives.
We have accepted a position at West Texas A&M University. We couldn't be more thrilled. We actually accepted the position quite awhile ago, but wanted to make sure all the t's were crossed and all the i's dotted. We will be heading to Amarillo, Texas later this summer after Phillip graduates. Phillip and I have really felt the Lord's hand in this decision. We are excited to see what is in store for us there. A great perk to moving to Amarillo is that we will be quite close to family. Phillip's parents are about 4 1/2 hrs. away and mine will be around 5. Phillip is also going to be able to teach exactly what he loves. How neat is that?! He couldn't have written a better deal for himself. We feel extremely blessed.
In order not to bore you all to death, I think that I will break up my posts. I have a Christmas party and a trip to Chickasha to post on. That will come soon. For my sister's benefit, because I have been a horrible poster, I will put in a cute picture of my kiddos.
I took this today before church...so this is a fresh one. :) I hope you all are having a blessed season and I'll be posting soon!

12 comments:

Lively Luckinbills said...

That is horrible about the pictures:( Hopefully other family members got some pictures on those special days and can fill in some gaps. We traveled to Nauvoo and other church history sites when Merilee was 18 months or so, and it was soooo wonderful. I can imagine how great it was with your kids who "knew" what was going on. That is a special place for me (lots of fond memories). Glad you were able to post about it. And congratulations on the new career and upcoming move!!!

Mamapierce said...

SO SORRY about the pictures!!! Hooray for Amarillo - my uncle Kurt McElwain lives there! Perhaps you'll be in the same ward! I can't remember if there is more than one ward there. Congrats on the new position! Best wishes! When will you go?

Jenny said...

I would freak out if I lost my pictures! Thanks for the hard reminder to put them on disks and have multiple back up copies. I'm feeling so sorry for you!

Nauvoo is one of the world's most beautiful and special places isn't it? And congrats on the move to Texas! Wow!!!

Jules said...

Wow, so much has been going on with you guys! Congratulations on the new job and upcoming move. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your pictures! And what a fun trip to Nauvoo. It sounds like a really neat experience.

Jules said...

Wow, so much has been going on with you guys! Congratulations on the new job and upcoming move. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your pictures! And what a fun trip to Nauvoo. It sounds like a really neat experience.

Alabama Apples said...

Thank you for the picture of your kiddies. They are beautiful (as always) I love your tree...beautiful with the colored lights :) Your boys look beautiful in their sweaters...I love it!!! Having mom here has been so fun, but it has made me miss you all the more. Kiss everyone from their Auntie. I'm so excited about your accepting the position. Hurray for Texas!!!

Cynthia Mann said...

Oh, I'm so sorry about your pictures! It sounds like you guys have been having a lot of fun lately. Congratulations on the job! GO TEXAS!!!

Aubrey said...

Sorry about your pictures too. I rely on Carlin to back files up and it makes me nervous when he starts tinkering with the computer because I know how easy it is to erase things. Luckily that hasn't happened to us yet - but now I think I will bug Carlin to put our pictures on a junk drive or something. Yay for the job! I'm so excited for you and your family. I know how much relief comes with a job decision.

whitney said...

(((hugs))) I'm so sorry about the pics. I'll scour all of mine to see if I can find any of ya'll.

Yay! on the job! That's so exciting!! Even though it's 10 hours away from where we'll be moving, at least it's only 5 from mom, so we can meet in the middle.

Melissa said...

Wow finally a new post (just kidding). And congrats again on Amarillo! That is so awesome! How perfect for you guys. SO sorry about the pictures- major bummer- but at least you still have some on the blog. Hopefully you can get some off of it.

Jess said...

What a wonderful trip to take with your family!! your boys will remember that forever...maybe not little Ella but you'll just have to take her back...Congrats on the job. I saw Phillip at school dead week and heard the news! So sad your not staying!!!

Ps i got their pics from Portrait Innovations across from Quail Springs and they're a lot like picture people, I have heard, but you get your actual pictures within like 20 mins. so that is great... I can give you more info if you want but we like going. their quick & to the point which I like...

Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Mere said...

Congratulations on the new job! Moving will be a pain in the you-know-what, but what a great adventure for your family. Isn't it strange where life takes us sometimes?

Oh, and your kiddos are so cute. That is a great picture!