About Me

What We Believe

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Widget_logo
Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Traditions, Parties and The Nativity

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. We definitely did. There is nothing like the Christmas spirit within a family. I love it. I will be posting about our Christmas...but not this post. I know, I know I am very tardy regarding the "Christmas post", but I have other events that came first and I got behind (me? no way!) . So, I am plugging on with the pre-Christmas festivities and hope you all can bear with me.
This Christmas season we have had ample opportunities to bring treats. W decided this year to try our hand at the ever famous Grandpa Cookies. We have dabbled in making them in the past, but this year we tried hard to make them as close as we could to Grandpa's cookies. Grandpa passed away last Christmas season and making the cookies this year was especially important to Phillip. So, making cookies we did! We had a lot of fun making them and even put our own little spin on them. They are shortbread cookies and tend to be a more adult cookie (think Sandies w/o the pecans, although my mil makes some with pecans and I l.o.v.e. them). We decided to add colored sugar to the tops before we baked them and they became more of a cookie that kids would enjoy. I have to say, they turned out well and I think Grandpa would've been proud.

Phillip, Greyson and Cooper making the dough warm before they rolled it out.The boys taking a picture break in their jammies.

The next thing on our busy plate was Cooper's class party. It was fun to see Cooper with all of his friends. He really seemed to enjoy me, Greyson and Ella there. Cooper and I signed up to bring a "sweet treat" for the party, so we brought some of the sugared Grandpa cookies. His class seemed to enjoy them.

Cooper trying to unwrap a Hershey's kiss with snow gloves on. I thought that it was a fun twist on the game.

Cooper at his desk with his goodies.

Cooper and some of his friends hamming it up for the cameras.

Ella sitting on my lap during the party.

The night of the Cooper's class partythe boys' school had a Winter Solstice Sing-Along. My children enjoy singing and music in general and wanted to go...so we did. I am glad that we did, because Cooper's grade performed a song. It was fun to see him perform.

Cooper is in the front kneeling (if you couldn't find him). If I remember correctly they are singing "Up on the Housetop" and using actions...very cute.

Cooper sitting with some of his friends during the sing-along.

Greyson after the sing-along was done and we were eating some refreshments. If I remember, this was right before some hot chocolate was spilled by my children. This has become a trend as you'll later see.

The next day was Greyson's class party. Ella and I were able to come. It was fun to see Greyson interact with his class, as well, but he tends to stay a bit closer to mom.

Greyson sitting at a table making an ornament. Note he was sitting at Graham's desk...not his own. ;)

Ella having a grand 'ol time eating a candy cane sitting in a chair that is near her size. I think she was ready for me to sign her up for Pre-K.

That night the Stillwater wards put on a Live Nativity. It had been a few years since we had had one because we were out of a building. It was very nice to have it back. I had missed it. I was asked to help the members of the cast with make-up, and so I went early. Phillip and the kids met up with me a little later and we had a great time. Not only is there a Live Nativity, but they put out Nativities from members of the ward. They display them beautifully and they usually have a children's room with things the children can play with. This year they outdid themselves. It was wonderful. There was more then ever. They had many Little People Nativity sets, dress-up, coloring pages with stickers of the Nativity and puzzles of the Nativity. It was great. So many times I have to tell my kids "no, don't touch!". So, it was really nice for them to be able to explore and learn about the true meaning of Christmas.

The kids playing with the Little People Nativities. All three of them really enjoyed it.I was able to catch Ella's smile in this one.

Cooper playing with a Mobile Nativity (how cool is that!). I had no idea they had a Nativity.

Greyson putting together a Nativity puzzle.

Ella having lots of fun in a room where she could explore!! I think I caught her playing with the Little People set...her favorite.

Cooper dressed up as a member of the Nativity...a Wise Man or Joseph, maybe? I can't remember.

Greyson dressed up as a Shepard.

After the kids had played we went to the cultural hall. They had it decorated just beautiful! They did it in hot pink and green. They aren't colors you would've expected, but it was gorgeous. The refreshments were really nice. My boys thought everything was pretty...and wanted to touch everything...especially because they had just came form a room were they could. In the middle of the tables they had mirrors with silver and pink presents on them. Cooper wanted to touch, so he did, then Grey, one touch wasn't enough so he touched again (I said no) and then Greyson had to follow suit (always). I saw it coming a mile away. White tablecloths and hot chocolate...you guessed it, spilled hot chocolate on the tablecloth. The whole thing was done so classy and here my child spilled hot chocolate... I was mortified. I tried so hard to mop it up, but there is only so much you can do with a damp paper towel. Sigh. So, with that we left...after apologizing profusely. Looking back, I am glad we went anyway...spills and all.

Ahhhh, you made it! I am so sorry it was so long, but I wanted to document it (as some of you have noticed, I am taking my posting pictures seriously in light of past events). So, I won't feel sad if you breeze over them. Thanks for sticking with me this long. The Christmas post will be on it's way...

5 comments:

Mamapierce said...

I LOVE the pictures! And Phillip's Cool Chicks shirt is too cute! I'm excited to see your Christmas pictures! :o)

Alabama Apples said...

Thanks for the post! I love seeing pictures of your beautiful children. How wonderful you guys followed the tradition and made Grandpa Cookies. I was wondering if this time would be a little rough for Phil. I love his shirt, by-the-way. Ella has gotten so big and with so much beautiful red hair. I wish Gunner would please grow somemore. Sigh...Cooper and Grey look so big, too. Seriously, it feels as if I haven't seen you all for ages. I need to see you!!!! I will be posting soon, I hope. I just haven't been feeling creative and when I feel like this, writing a post seems insurmountable. Give your beautiful family loves from us! We're thinking of you!!!! Happy new year!!!

Carrie said...

It looks like you guys had a lot of fun! I can not believe how big Ella is getting. I love her cute little smile! She is adorable as are Greyson and Cooper. We hope you have a Happy New Year!! Tell Philip hi from all of us!

whitney said...

I loved this post! You guys really kept yourself busy, even when I wasn't there. What a fun idea to have the "touchable" nativity room for the kids. I was pretty bummed about missing the Live Nativity, so thanks for telling all about it. Your kids look beautiful...as usual [insert eye roll here]. I can't wait to be home so I can give them all hugs and kisses!

ps-how did I not know you had a Kitchen Aid? Is it on the counter, maybe by the microwave?

Jules said...

Looks like fun times! I love all the pictures of your sweet kids. Happy New Year!