About Me

What We Believe

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Widget_logo
Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Amarillo by Mornin'

My sister has been a little reminder on my shoulder that I haven't posted. She doesn't actually say anything...but I feel her checking my blog to see if I've updated and it's high time I stop disappointing her. I love you, Sis. Thanks for helping me out even when you didn't know you had. ;)
Recently we had a opportunity (called Spring Break!) to travel the SHORT! trip to Amarillo, Texas. We were pleasantly surprised to find that we can get there in 4 1/2 hours and on one tank of gas...that is when we take no breaks. When we got there it was our intention to orient ourselves with the city, do a little bit of sight seeing, and try to figure out the best place to live so we can move forward with trying to find a home. In the short time that we were there we were able to accomplish all of out goals (yippee!). We fell in love (all over again) with Amarillo. Phillip and I have really felt that the Lord has guided us to Amarillo. I have told my family that the job and location feels like a glove that "just fits". We don't know why, the landscape there isn't one I would've ever really have chosen, and we aren't familiar with the area--but we feel like it's home already--in a way. We really are excited to see what's in store for us.
Just a cute pic of Coop in our first hotel room.
We first looked at homes and are trying to decide what's best for us...to rent or not to rent. The jury's still out. By the end of the trip, to say that I have decided where I want to live is an understatement. There are a couple of developments right outside of Amarillo and Canyon (the actual town that West Texas A&M University is located). It is a quick drive to either Phillip's job or Amarillo. I hesitate to write this-as I may be judged (and I have been called picky...you know who you are) but I have figured out exactly what I want. I want to be in between Amarillo and Canyon (for the reasons listed above) and because if you live close enough to Amarillo you can still get to shopping and etc. and if you live close enough to Canyon you can be in the Canyon school district...and they are the best. I also want to live in these developments because they are newer, if we rent and don't buy I still want to be in this area because then my kids aren't pulled from their school and we stay in the same ward. I am not looking forward to moving there and then re-moving all over again when we decide it's time to buy. Ahhh I know...picky, picky, picky. Can you blame a girl for knowing what she wants?
We also drove around town and (especially Phillip) oriented himself to where things are. We checked out the local Target (they have one...not a super center...but still!!) and ate at a few fun places in Amarillo. We also went to one of the biggest attractions in Amarillo and Route 66...Cadillac Ranch. For those of you who are not familiar with what it is, don't feel bad...neither did I. I had heard of it, but that was all. I was shocked and amused when I found out. There is a eccentric millionaire that own a large ranch on the outskirts of Amarillo. He thought that it was a fab idea to stick 10 Cadillacs into the ground-nose first-and call it "art". I suppose to some, it may be...all I could think of was, "how much did that cost?!" and "he could have done so much more with that money". Oh well, I'm not an eccentric millionaire and I obviously didn't have a say. ;) Eccentric and odd as it was it was a great little adventure for our family. I mean, where else can you go color and paint on cars that are sticking out of the ground??!! I would dare to say nowhere else.
I was too afraid to let them loose w/ spray paint, so we bought permanent markers. Next time, I think I'll let them use the paint and dress them to "have at it".Cutie little Grey.Our sweet Elle Bell.
We also had to go (just for the sake of going) to the Big Texan. If you are at all familiar with the area, you have heard of the place that will serve you a 72 oz. steak and if you can eat it in an hour they will give it to you free. Now that I have gone, I can say the "free part" is the best part.
It is a total tourist trap, but nonetheless we have gone, experienced it and somehow felt it was a "right of passage" in an odd way. They are very proud of their state. They actually sell suckers in the shape of Texas and when we were at one of the motels they have waffles in the state's shape....comical.

Yep, they advertise on a HUGE bull. What can I say, they take their livestock seriously. ;)

If you look verrrry closely you can see a plethora of stuffed animals on the wall, or standing....ohhh, just about anywhere. My brother, Mack, would've loved it. ;)

Me and the kiddos. If you can catch the prices on the menu, I think it said, "your child's college fund". No joke. ;)

We had a good time being together and looking forward to the adventure that lies ahead for our little family.

6 comments:

Mere said...

You know you've been deprived living in Stillwater so long when you're that excited about a Target! I don't know how you lasted so long there... I have 4 Targets to chose from!

Good luck on the house hunt. We're glad we rented when we first got here because we found out quickly it wasn't the area or the ward we wanted to buy a house in.

Annie said...

Tough decisions... it is a good time to buy. The interest rates are low... but then again, you could have more time to find exactly what you want and where you want to be if you rent. I know what you're saying about moving twice. It is a pain. Good luck with everything. Moving is one of those bittersweet things - it's hard to say good-bye, but fun to see what lies ahead.

Alabama Apples said...

I'm so glad you posted!! Was I the special sister presence, or was it our other sister? Whoever the urge came from it is so fun to see your pictures! I love the ranch. When we come visit you there we'll come and make our mark on the cadis. That restaurant has been on food network a couple of times for their challenge with the steak. I am glad you all had a fun time and I look forward to visiting you there! I love the pics of your kiddies and you and Phil. You both look so fab and your babies are beautiful. Gun recognizes Ella still and points her out saying "Eyya, Eyya". We miss you and can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

Lively Luckinbills said...

What an adventure. And now you never have to eat at that place again...you came, you ate, you made the memory. 4 1/2 hours isn't too bad either. I know how important it is to still have a tight connection to family. I am excited for you ... an new house to decorate!! What fun!!

Steph said...

Tell Phillip that Whitney Crain just moved to Amarillo. Or close by.

whitney said...

Who's calling you picky? ;)

It sounds like you had SUCH a fabulous time! We'll definitely have try out the Cadillac Ranch when we visit-maybe Lib and I can time our visit at the same time...since I'm sure you'll have a big, beautiful house to keep us in. yay! yay! for starting over in such a fun new place!

ps-I'm pretty sure she was talking about you, Lib.